Planning to go trekking in Nepal? We have prepared list of 15 best treks in Nepal.
Nepal is a land of Himalayas. It is one of the popular destination for trekking and mountaineering in Asia. Annapurna, Everest, Langtang, Makalu and Dhaulagiri are most popular trekking trails in Nepal.
Everest is world’s roof and it is tallest mountain in earth from sea level. However, when it comes to trekking, it is second popular trekking trails in Nepal after Annapurna.
Everest is difficult for first time trekkers and trekkers are required to fly to Lukla Airport. But Annapurna became most popular trekking trails because it consists Ghorepani Poonhill trek which is popular among first time trekkers, students and Chinese tourists. Ghorepani Poonhill treks easy and affordable. The treks starts from Pokhara and you can finish within 4 days.
When it comes to create a list of best treks in Nepal, majority of bloggers don’t mentions about Mardi Himal Trek. Its not quite popular because its a new trekking trails but anyone who trek call it “hidden gems of Annapurna region”. Its is the only one trekking trails of Nepal where trekkers can reach base camp within 3 days. If you are fast trekkers and familiar with locally made short trails, you can reach base camp in just 2 days. Most of the trekking companies prefer to sells more profitable trekking program like ABC or EBC instead of selling less profitable Mardi Himal Trek. That’s why Mardi Himal Trek is still in shadow.
Annapurna Region Treks
If Everest is king of mountains, Annapurna is queen. In Annapurna region, there are many trekking trails. Among them, five trekking are the best so far. Machhapuchhre (meaning Fishtail) Model Trek (MMT) is also gaining popularity in recent dates but it is not suitable for summer sessions. That’s why it is excluded here.
- Annapurna Base Camp Trek (16 Days)
- Annapurna Circuit Trek (22 Days)
- Ghorepani Poon Hill Trek (10 Days)
- Jomsom Muktinath Trek (13 Days)
- Mardi Himal Trek (12 Days)
Everest Region Treks
Everest, the king of the mountains is highly popular for mountaineering due to its name and fame. But it still struggles to became most popular trekking destination due to long and difficult trekking trails.
- Everest Base Camp Trek (10-14 Days)
- Everest Base Camp Trek via Gokyo and Cho La (19 Days)
- Everest Base Camp via Jiri (25 Days)
- Everest Panorama Trek (12 Days)
Langtang Region Treks
Langtang trekking trails lacks quality infrastructures compare to Everest and Annapurna but it is third most trekking destination in Nepal. Langtang trek is suitable for beginners as well as intermediate-level trekkers.
Remote Area Treks
By name its clear. Following treks are hard and not suitable for beginners but if you love challenge, go for it. While you are in trek, you will complain a lot these trekking trails could be improved. But once you return from trekking, you will realize you have beautiful memory which you will never forget in lifetime.
- Upper Mustang Trans Himalayan Trek (17 Days)
- Makalu Base Camp Trek (25 Days)
- Dhaulagiri Adventure Trek (25 Days)
- If you are coming Nepal for short period of time (10-15 days) and just want to get real experience of trekking in Nepal, try Mardi Himal Trekking instead of Ghorepani or Poonhill treks.
- Annapurna base camp (ABC) and Everest base camp (EBC) treks should not be missed if you are coming Nepal for longer duration (6-8 weeks) They both offer unique experience which can hardly compared.
- If you are coming Nepal for the second time, Upper Mustang shouldn’t be missed. Going upper mustang is like going to another planet. The views you see is totally different what you see in Everest and Annapurna regions.
Please share your opinions below on comment box.