What is Responsible Tourism?
Responsible tourism a concept that is focused on the sustainability of tourism practices. It seeks to foster respect between the different groups involved in the tourism industry. Instead of being orientated solely around money and profit, responsible tourism focuses on ensuring that people and the local environment, whether locals or tourists, tour operators or workers, are all able to benefit.
Building respect for culture, social traditions, the environment and economic sustainability is the driving force behind the concept. In this sense, responsible tourism is an exchange of cultures and values as much as an exchange of money.
The Principles and Aims
Responsible tourism is an approach that seeks to balance the often alternative desires of the tourist with those of locals; it fosters a harmonious relationship between the two. The concept was first laid out in detail at the 2002 Cape Town Declaration on Responsible Tourism. The key aims include, but are not limited to the following;
- The minimisation of negative economic, environmental, and social impacts on local communities.
- The generation of greater economic benefits for local people, enhancing the well-being of host communities by improving working conditions and access to the tourism industry.
- Encouraging the involvement of local people in decisions that affect their lives and livelihood.
- Contributing positively to the conservation of natural and cultural heritage in order to ensure the maintenance of world diversity.
- Committing to promoting understanding of cultural, social and environmental issues that affect local communities.
- Providing access for physically challenged people.
- Providing more enjoyable experiences for tourists through facilitating meaningful connections with local people while ensuring cultural sensitivity to host communities. It reinforces the need for respect between tourists and hosts, which in turn builds local pride and confidence.
Why Choose Responsible Tourism?
Responsible tourism is for those who are tired of the norm, who are seeking to branch out and explore something fresh and new that goes beyond the confines of ‘mass tourism’. It is for those who are seeking to engage in a new approach to tourism.
By engaging with responsible tourism companies/operators you are making a statement. You are stating that you want a different kind of adventure and you wish to go further than the ordinary packaged holiday. Perhaps you want to feel the pulse of a country, to indulge in its cultural cuisine and long to understand its ways. You yearn to feel the heartbeat of the places that you travel to; you don’t want to just pass through. You might even endeavour to learn some of the local language!
Responsible tourism seeks to fulfill these desires and more by ensuring that all funds are used to give back to the local communities that are involved in the ventures.
It is a reflection of a changing attitude. We understand that people not only want an exciting and culturally authentic holiday, but that many also have the desire to give back to the communities and avoid damage to local environments. This is why responsible tourism operators are committed to respecting their employees by providing fair wages and quality working conditions while also safeguarding the environment and limiting potential environmental damage as much as possible.
At Fundraising Treks we are fully committed to the values of responsible tourism and travel. We understand the need for a new kind of travel that involves not only caring for the employees and local communities but also promotes awareness of cultural, economic and environmental sensitivity. This is the aim behind the contribution of all money raised through Fundraising Treks to supporting community projects. We are committed to alleviating poverty in rural Nepal by empowering local communities and promoting social justice and equality for the disadvantaged. All of our treks are bound by the conditions of environmental sustainability; we understand that our land needs to be preserved for the appreciation of future generations.
This is where you come in. By choosing Fundraising Treks for your next adventure, you not only book an experience of a lifetime but you are directly assisting in the fight against poverty in Nepal. When you chose Fundraising Treks you can rest assured that you will be trekking with a responsible and caring operator.